Security of assembly programs against fault attacks on embedded processors
The subject used to be “Advanced security strategy for embedded systems”
This thesis was supervised by Karine HEYDEMANN (UPMC – LIP6), under the direction of Emmanuelle ENCRENAZ (UPMC – LIP6) and Bruno ROBISSON (CEA) as advisors. A part of those works have been carried with Amine DEHBAOUI (SERMA Technologies, previously at CEA).
This thesis deals with the security of embedded programs on microcontrollers against fault attacks. We propose an assembly-level countermeasure based on a fault model that has been obtained from dedicated experiments. More precisely, we work about securing assembly programs against attacks that can trouble the execution of instructions. An experimental process with electromagnetic pulses is used to induce faults on microcontrollers.
Keywords: fault injection attacks ; electromagnetic injection ; fault model ; verified countermeasures ; assembly ; instruction skip
- Thesis for the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) started in November 2011
- Funded by the Commissariat à l’Énergie Atomique et aux Énergies Alternatives (CEA)
- Within the École Doctorale Informatique Télécommunication Electronique (EDITE)
- Conducted within the Secure Archictectures and Systems lab of the École des Mines de Saint-Étienne
|Thesis manuscript (in French)|
|Thesis defense slides (in English, translated from the original defense slides in French)|
|Thesis abstract (in English, 2 pages)|
|Thesis poster (in English, research day 2013 at Centre Microélectronique de Provence)|
Defended at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris) on November 13th 2014.
- Jean-Claude BAJARD, UPMC, Chairman
- Jean-Louis LANET, INRIA Rennes, Reviewer
- Pascal BERTHOMÉ, INSA Centre Val de Loire, Reviewer
- Christophe GIRAUD, Oberthur Technologies, Examiner
- Sylvain GUILLEY, Telecom ParisTech, Examiner
- Jean-François LALANDE, INSA Centre Val de Loire, Examiner
- Pascal PAILLIER, CryptoExperts, Invited member
- Karine HEYDEMANN, UPMC, Joint advisor
- Emmanuelle ENCRENAZ, UPMC, Advisor
- Bruno ROBISSON, CEA, Advisor
See my list of publications on the dedicated page.
- Homepage of Karine Heydemann
- Homepage of Emmanuelle Encrenaz
- Homepage of Bruno Robisson
- Secure Architectures and Systems lab (CEA/Mines Saint-Étienne)